Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy Statement
Last Updated: 30 Jun 2023
Serco Leisure is committed to promoting equality of opportunity and providing services which embrace inclusivity and diversity regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
This commitment seeks to comply with relevant statutory requirements and codes of practice, supports Serco’s Equal Opportunities Policy Standard and acknowledges Sport England’s definition of equity in sport:
Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure that it becomes equally accessible to all members of society, whatever their age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, sexuality or socio-economic status. We stand for everybody, from every background, in every place, having an equal chance to be active and benefit from it. Our aim is for a sporting system that's truly inclusive and properly reflective of UK society.
This policy follows the “Equality Act 2010” which harmonised all previous equality legislation into a single Act of Parliament. The Equality Act 2010 protects individuals from discrimination and harassment based on “Protected Characteristics.”
We are committed to:
- Ensuring that our services are delivered in a way that is fair to all.
- Ensuring that all people have equal opportunities to participate in sport or leisure activities and undertake learning opportunities at all levels, on a regular basis.
- Promoting equality within our Centres. We will monitor and evaluate the usage and participation levels to assist in identifying programme and activity improvements, thereby reducing inequalities.
- Ensuring our activity programmes reflect the diversity and needs of the community, which is served.
- Delivering inclusive programmes that promote and embed the principles of equality and fairness.
- Continually assess the impact of our services, and, where appropriate, we will consult with various stakeholders to further facilitate the development of our offering.